Job Profile: Comercial Breeder
Title/Role: Commercial Breeder Reports To: Jean-Luc Pellet
Organization: Monsanto E/A Corn Breeding Location: Pontevico (IT)
HR Contact: Stefania Benedini
Monsanto is seeking a highly motivated individual with the ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary breeding team in an international environment.
Primary responsibility is the development of improved corn hybrids utilizing the latest in breeding technologies to develop superior corn products for the late maturities in Italy and related agro-climatic areas in Europe, with focus on agronomic traits like yield, standability and disease tolerance as appropriate.
Key Business Accountabilities (key goals and deliverables )
1. Accession of improved hybrids for the south Europe area through makeup and testing of unique hybrid combinations or the identification of hybrids developed by others with superior performance within the area.
2. Operation of a summer breeding nursery as well as planning winter nursery and testing program which will lead to the development of improved inbred lines with increased hybrid yield and other traits as needed in the area.
3. Participation in the advancement meeting and other aspects of the advancement process in order to commercialize the best products for area based on a thorough knowledge of what is working in the region and how a new product will enhance our competitiveness.
4. Incumbent must maintain knowledge of technical advances pertaining to increasing the functional efficiency of the breeding program through interface with appropriate technology personnel.
5. Interfaces with other breeders within Monsanto Global Seed Group for plot and germplasm exchange
Core Business/Functional Skills and Education (critical experiences, skills, education or capabilities)
1. Ph.D. in Plant Breeding and Genetics with no experience, MS in Plant Breeding and Genetics or related field with 3 years plant breeding experience.
2. General germplasm knowledge and knowledge of approaches to germplasm improvement.
3. Team leadership skills including excellent coaching and organizational skills.
4. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
5. General knowledge of statistical theory and experimental design.
6. General computer skills.
7. Understanding of market needs and conditions.
Individual must have demonstrated ability to write and speak English fluently, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to write and speak in Italian would be preferred.
Must be able to work long hours in peak times as needed, must be willing to travel to winter nursery sites or company meetings as needed.